FAQs: Early Bird, Class Handouts vs Pattern PDFs, & Basics
FAQ: What's the difference between a Class Handout or a Full Pattern & Tutorial PDF?
The Full Pattern & Tutorial PDF, usually between 25-50 pages, is probably what you expect a "pattern" to be. It contains complete instructions and pictures to walk you through building your project. It is a standalone "pattern" that is sold separately - through us or some other outlets such as online venues and brick and mortar storefronts.
This PDF is discounted on our site for the Early Bird Pass Holders (limited program), VIPs and Golden VIPs. Their price is shown when they log in to the sewing.school site.
The Class Handout, usually about 5-6 pages, is designed to be used mostly for "prep" -cutting, interfacing, or other parts readied for a live event. It is meant to always be used with other instruction - such as live classes at a shop, a live event with us, or a recorded event or Mastery Workshop. It contains:
Materials and Tools List
Assembly Outline List (gets added after first live Sew A Long)
Example of Class Handout
The Class Handout does not contain detailed instructions nor assembly photos.
AGAIN: It is designed to only serve to support live instruction.
Keep in mind, before the scamdemic, we would launch each one of our new projects at a live sewing retreat.
But until the world gets its head screwed back on and we get some "normal" back, we won't be pulling groups of women together for any live get togethers. Therefore, the Early Bird Sew A Longs take the place of live retreats for us to launch and work through a new project. Think of our Early Bird Events as a "test drive" for those that like to do this with Sally.
- - - - - -
Sewing.School Products Timeline
In order to best serve you - and to avoid hundreds of redundant questions on our social media platforms, we offer this info to you to help you understand our process.
In late 2021, we started to implement an Assembly Outline numbering system to identify steps in assembly that will correspond across all of the products for each of our projects.
Each Project has 7 Products: Class Handout, Early Bird Live Sew A Long Event, Mastery Workshop, Sally Sew A Long Event, Recorded Sew A Long, Full Pattern & Tutorial PDF, & the Sew Like A Rock Star Shop & Educator Program.
So every product within each project we have will play nice with each other. 🤓
- - -
We offer this info at the beginning of every project item. We think it's important that you know the few things we offer so you can make your best choice in how you want to participate with us in assembling your project.
We really try our best to give you, your teacher, and your shop the different ways to best learn and teach sewing! Please keep in mind that we serve a world wide audience - some do not speak English! Others are "visual" learners that require videos to best enjoy creating a project. Others... well... they just want that darn paper pattern and be left alone! lol
Our publishing order for each project:
🌺 Class Handout - this is the first PDF created for a project is included for classes, workshops & events. Class Handouts are designed to support the assembly of a project with live or recorded instruction. Class Handouts contain:
Materials & Tools List
The Class Handout is included FREE through the Sew Like A Rock Star Shop/Educator Program. Look for your coupon code from your friendly local shop or educator.
The Class Handout is included for classes, events, & workshops - just look in your "My Downloads" link after enrolling.
🌺 It's important to know the order of our product production and the importance of how the Class Handout & Early Bird Sew A Long fit in:
1. Sample item gets sewn, the first round of photos are taken, etc.
2. The Class Handout is made in time for the first Early Bird Sew A Long.
3. An Early Bird Sew A Long is scheduled (these are not recorded). These are casual, FUN get togethers conducted over our 3 zoom rooms. Attend in the comfort of your own sewing room. The Class Handout provides cutting dimensions, etc. Then, the construction during one of these Zoom events takes the place of what we normally would have done through a live retreat. The feedback & participation in these "test drive" events helps us greatly.
4. The Assembly Outline, Mastery Workshop, and Full Pattern & Tutorial PDF are improved and perfected from the experience from folks that are using the Class Handout & attending Early Bird Live Event.
5. The Full Pattern & Tutorial PDF is then sent to legal & off to get the US Copyright. This PDF is NOT distributed until after it receives its copyright.
6. Mastery Workshop is fine tuned & published while we're waiting on #5. A Mastery Workshop with the use of the Class Handout is well rounded info - the project can easily be made with the combination of the two.
7. A Sally Sew A Long (which we DO record) is scheduled & done - then off to be edited before publication to the site.
8. Full Pattern & Tutorial is published as soon as it receives its copyright. It is meant to stand alone - it is a separate item - no videos are required for assembly unless desired.
9. The project is then fully completed and ready for distribution to our Sew Like A Rock Star Shop & Educator Program.
THROUGHOUT this whole process, the Class Handout provides the info needed to build the project with the instruction provided by your friendly local shop or us.
**While the Class Handout is free, it is still under copyright. Do not copy for anyone else, nor distribute in any manner. All Class Handouts need to be downloaded ONLY from Sewing.School under the correct customer's account. NO EXCEPTIONS to this.
If your shop is not participating in our Sew Like A Rock Star Shop Program, please have them write to us at email@example.com
* Assembly Outline is added to the Class Handout after the first live event has happened. If you participate in the early live events, just watch for news in Telegram and/or our emails on the Class Handout being updated and you are able to come back and re-download this material. DO NOT keep downloading the same version - or you will run out of your allotted downloads. You are allowed to download each publication 3 times before having to re-purchase it. Tip: Compare the version number on your current copy to that of the one in your download library before downloading.
** Important: The Class Handout serves to give all necessary information needed to build the project with the assistance of live or recorded instruction. It is the ONLY material with cutting instructions released while we may be waiting for the Full Pattern & Tutorial PDF to be granted its copyright from the U.S. Copyright Office.
Our company has been badly damaged in the past by thieves that have stolen and re-distributed Sally's work. All new work is protected by statutory damages against anyone that violates the law by pirating our work.
Keep an eye on the Calendar on Sewing.School to watch for upcoming Live Events!
- - -
We hope you are able to see that our projects are now suitable for anyone to sew! Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned sewist with years of experience, or you learn from visuals, or you just want to follow a pattern, or you are a teacher that is in front of a group of folks with vastly different experience/skill levels - we are making this a pleasant experience.
Our system makes it easy for experienced folks to skip steps, while a new person may soak up every little bit of info they can in the beginning.
🌺 Basics. Some parts of lessons are notated as "Basics." These tidbits of knowledge or procedure are added to all of our projects' products so to best serve everyone. Simply skip over any Basics content that you already know.
🌺 Appreciation. Many different techniques and tips have been tossed around through generations in the sewing world for decades, if not centuries. We make no claims as to things you learn here being "our" idea. Instead, with much appreciation for the enjoyment of sewing and the information that has been generously passed around by others before us, we truly hope you enjoy our method of presenting as much info to you as possible.
We want you to enjoy the sport of sewing and create beautiful, useful things that are built with craftsmanship.
🌺 Thanks for bein' with us! We hope you enjoy creating your project!
-Sally and her Rock Star Team!